What is a Blended-Learning High School?
It is important to recognize that online/blended schools vary widely in both structure and quality. If comparing schools, the following are some important questions to ask:
- Is the curriculum and learning program individualized to Colorado high school diploma students’ needs?
- Is the curriculum just static content delivered online or does it cater to multiple learning styles with a range of enriching activities and engaging media such as videos, podcasts and interactive activities?
- Are opportunities provided for socialization and extended learning?
- Are all teachers certified? Do they have special training in online teaching techniques?
- What tools are provided for communication between students, teachers, advisors and families?
- Are these tools comprehensive, clear and easy to use?
- What type of accountability and testing can you expect?
- How does the school ensure that your student is staying on track?
- How long will it take for the school to recognize a problem?
- How and when will you be notified if your student is falling behind?
- What opportunities do students have to meet their teachers and advisors in person?
Some Key Benefits of Online/Blended Schools
A more recent study published by the US Department of Education found that, “Free online high schools in Colorado can provide easy access to standards-based, state-of-the-art lesson content, highly qualified instructors, and a wide variety of rigorous course work, regardless of physical location or other limitations.”